Saturday, November 3, 2012

Tips for a Successful Craft Show

I have been doing craft shows on and off for over 18 years now, it's insane.Let's just say, I've had a lot more disappointing shows than good ones.  Believe it or not, I haven't had a really successful show until last year.
I remember those days sitting there hoping someone would walk by and help me make my table money back. Some years I really needed that table money I spent, and took a chance in hopes that I would make a little bit extra than the outlay to purchase better groceries for the week. It's not fun being a starving artist, but through it all I have vowed to never give up. This is something that I love to do.

I spent many years trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, Getting so upset at the people that were doing well. I kept telling myself what did they have that I didn't?

It's hit or miss with a show. You could be placed in a bad spot in the show, be stuck next to a vendor that pulls customers away from you, get stuck competing with someone who has "made in china" merchandise, and is undercutting everyone around you. It's tough.
I decided to study the successful people and figure out what I could do better.

It's finally clicking for me. I've finally figured out how to get the right product, display it correctly, and have found the right shows to go to. Thought I would share.

Here are a few things I have learned:

# 1 : you need to get the people to want to come to your table. Make your displays interesting, different than everyone Else's. If you sell Jewelry, don't run to your local craft store and just buy what they are selling for display pieces. 9 out of 10 there is going to be someone else at every show you go to that has the same exact thing.

 It doesn't matter if people can't see your product from far away, If you have a good display They will want to come to your table.

#2 :  Get as creative with your displays as you do with your work. Think outside the box. I like to look at an object and figure out how I can use it in some other way to display my work.

For Example, this plant stand can be used to hang ornaments off of, while at the same time, you could use it as a shelving unit to display other items on top. A bonus is that it folds up for easy transport! I love to wait for seasonal stuff like this to go on clearance and pick it up for next to nothing.



# 3 :  Get stuff up off the table!  I can't stand it when I walk by a table at a craft show and everything is flat on the table, Everything gets lost!  You need to make it interesting. Add different heights, display items on pretty candle holders like the ones below.  or a shelf  anything!



#4: Along the lines of # 3 Get your stuff up to the customers Eye Level. I have sold more stuff when the customer doesn't have to bend over to get to it. I have seen people extend the legs of their tables so customers don't have to bend over so much.
Take a look in department stores and see how they display their merchandise.

#5: Stop trying to make stuff like everyone else. Come up with your own style and design. I spent a lot of time trying to be just like someone else. Don't copy other people. You need to put your own spin on it create your own style/ brand.

#6: Never stop thinking about ways to improve, or keep up with the times. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone get stuck with one product, and not move on from it. Peoples tastes change. What a customer liked 15 years ago, is not what they are going to like today. You need to be constantly wanting to learn and grow.


# 7: Take photos of your booth set up at a show and study them. What displays do you notice right away, what might look off? Act as if you are the customer seeing your displays for the first time when looking at your set up.

I hope this helps someone out there. It took me years to learn some of these things. Hopefully you will come away with something that will improve your sales!

Here are a few photo's of my booth today. Not the best pictures but the show was in progress!!  I'm already thinking of ways I can change it up a bit!





















No comments:

Post a Comment