Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How to Make a Bead Organizer

 There really isn't an adequate storage solution for the person who has over 400 different seed beads So I came up with my own. My storage simply velcro's onto the side of my craft cabinet.  This could be adapted to hang on a wall simply by attaching a few rings to the top to form a hanger. You could even attach a thin cardboard, or press board to the back of the fabric for stability.


A Friend of mine came for a visit the other day and wrote a little blog about my sacred craft space. You can see my Bead Walls complete on her blog.

http://lovejoyandpeas.blogspot.com/2012/10/janets-super-organized-craft-hobby-room.html

I've had a few people ask me how I put together my Seed bead storage. It's really simple to make, I would definitely consider this a beginners project. I am no master seamstress that's for sure!!

Materials used:
Heavy Weight Canvas Fabric - Purchased at Joannes in the home decor section
3/4" Black Eleastic
Black Thread
Chalk fabric marker
Heavy weight Velcro strips - Mine is about 3"wide


First I measured out my Fabric to fit inside the doors of my Cabinet. My completed organizers measure 15" across and 66 long, so I cut my fabric at 16" inches and 67" and marked it for a 1/2 " seam:

Next I marked 2 lines in the center of the fabric 3 1/2 inches away from my seam marking This is where my Elastic strips will be sewn





Next I marked where I was going to attach the elastic to my fabric. I maked 1/2 Inces apart down the entire length of each line in the center of the fabric.




Next I marked on my elastic - I made each mark 1 1/8" apart.




In the meantime my kitty Meko decided to get involved it the process!  



Next I matched up the markings on the elastic to the markings on the fabric, Forming a loop in the elastic and double stitched each connection to make sure it was sturdy enough to handle tubes sliding in and out.





I attached velcro on the back and placed them on my velcro wall and that was it!




A finished side panel:




5 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! Can't wait to make one for myself!!!
    Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea in a smaller version would also make a nice roll-up carrier for taking beads on a trip. I always travel with something to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea in a smaller version would also make a nice roll-up carrier for taking beads on a trip. I always travel with something to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!!! Can't wait to make one for myself!!!
    Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete